So you’ve decided not to travel this Memorial Day….good for you. Now what? Are you destined to spend the holiday repeating your regular “home” routine?
You know what I’m talking about – not showering until noon, attempting to make a dent at the laundry, watching other people tackle their lawns on HGTV only to get sucked into some work you needed to get done….you get the point.
I’ve put together 5 quick tips to ensure you enjoy your staycation:
1. Explore. If you’re like the 99% of us you probably spend your days, evenings and weekends doing the same ol’ thing going at the same ol’ places. You need to explore. Whether you are in a city or the burbs, chances are there is cool stuff going on right around you that you didn’t even know about. Easy way to find this cool stuff is with timeRAZOR. The free app takes all of the guesswork out of knowing what’s going on around certain locations by being one of the most comprehensive sources. You’ll be surprised by what you find.
2. Stop. Yes, just stop. Stop checking your facebook or twitter feed. Stop checking your email. If you must then set some boundaries (e.g. for 10 minutes twice a day). Why? You’re on your staycation – enjoy yourself by doing stuff- not being glued to what everyone else is doing.
3. Avoid. Guessing one of the reasons you stayed home was to avoid traffic. So stick local and avoid the traffic. Don’t think you can do anything fun that is local? See #1. There is nothing fun about traffic…nothing. Trust me, I stare at too much data about traffic (we built into timeRAZOR the ability for it to tell you when to leave for an event based on traffic) – nothing fun about traffic.
4. Invite. When was the last time you saw your friend from that thing? Or spent any quality time with your dog? Invite someone (or your dog) to join you as you explore new things. They’ll enjoy spending time with you (that is what friends and pets are for…right?) and you’ll get them out of the house too.
5. Remember. If you’re like me – you make your vacations last longer by taking lots of pics so you can remember all of the fun you had. So why would a staycation be any different? Get out your Instagram and capture all of the things your exploring. Let others deal with the traffic, cost and frustration of traveling. Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz said it best, “..there’s no place like home.”
Enjoy your Memorial Day staycation!
about the author – victoria clark
Victoria is a wannabe geek and co-founder of timeRAZOR. She loves her music loud and her craft beer cold. She’s always looking for new recs for both – send her yours via twitter @NotVicki. If you’re really bored, you can follow her on instagram (notvicki) and watch in real time as she takes the same pic of her black lab/beagle mix – Audrey, over and over again.